(A Periodic List of My Favorite Phrases That "Sing")
Some people have a great memory for sports statistics – or names – or faces – or historical events. It seems I have a different aptitude: a penchant to remember quotations (that are meaningful or pithy). Perhaps you'd expect that of me, since I'm a "word guy." So, without further ado, here is the third installment of ten delightful, insightful quotations, (five by Jim Elliot) with attribution where known:
21. "What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us." – A.W. Tozer
22. "Our young men are going into the professional fields because they don't feel a call to ministry. They don't need a call – they need a kick in the pants." – Jim Elliot
23. "I must not think it strange if God takes in youth those whom I would have kept on earth till they were older. God is peopling Eternity, and I must not restrict Him to old men and women." – Jim Elliot
24. "God, I pray Thee, light these idle sticks of my life and may I burn for Thee. Consume my life, my God, for it is Thine. I seek not a long life, but a full one, like you, Lord Jesus." – Jim Elliot
25. "Lord, make my way prosperous, not that I achieve high station, but that my life may be an exhibit to the value of knowing God." – Jim Elliot
26. "Missionaries are a bunch of nobodies trying to exalt Somebody." – Jim Elliot
27. "God is most glorified in us when we're most satisfied in Him." – John Piper
28. "The gospel is this: We are more sinful and flawed in ourselves than we ever dared believe, yet at the very same time we are more loved and accepted in Jesus Christ than we ever dared hope." – Tim Keller
29. "The most important thing a father can do for his children is love their mother."
30. "God treated Jesus as though he were me, so that He could treat me as though I were Him."